Taking a cue from JM‘s spotlight article, I will now get into a soapbox and decry my current civil status: being single and married (to my job). *rimshot*
Looking back, there used to be a time when these WVR articles were as lively as the UtaRan reviews are now. All part of the cycle of fame I guess (the recent mediocrity/song lull doesn’t help, either)… though the WVR still clocks in at 10-15 reader comments per article for some reason. Maybe the UTAU is still a niche group, but c’mon guys, show the girls you appreciate all the hard work they put into making their reviews.
For now, however, let’s enjoy a nice, slow river ride from WVR.
NAHO’s OPENING STATEMENT:
Hello everyone! It’s time for this week’s VocaRan. How did all of you spend this past Sunday?
Anyway, for this week, other than Valentine’s Day, there’s the influence of the MMD Cup, and so the rankings are pretty shook up.
Well let’s hurry and go watch it!
-Editors: Holocauxt, DTKel, Joe Mello, deztora, redemtion2, Tari, GreenSage
-Song Stats: Rank-Up, Rank-Down, Unmoved, Unranked, NEW
- #30: 【GUMI】 アイノヨロコビ 【オリジナル曲】 (NEW) – A nice VocaR&B song from GUMI, delightful indeed. It’s always good to have GUMI back on the countdown. It’s nice to see GUMI come back, but this song could be better. =|
- #29: 【弱音ハク】白ノ娘【中世物語風オリジナル】 (Down from 18) – This may be the last round-up for Haku Well it had a pretty good run…
- #28: magnet【初音ミク・巡音ルカオリジナル】 (Down from 23) – <no comment>
- #27: 【初音ミク(40㍍)】 ジェンガ 【オリジナル】 (Down from 2) – Sharp drop in all metrics = Sharp drop in score
- #26: 【鏡音レン】パラジクロロベンゼン【破壊系洗脳ソング】 (Down from 25) – I’m actually pretty happy that this mainstay survived the new scoring system so well. I hope it doesn’t drop off, but if it does… well, it had a real good run. *tips hat*
- #25: 【巡音ルカ】ダブルラリアット【オリジナル】 (Down from 15) – もう一年か。。。？
- #24: 【巡音ルカ】Last flight【オリジナル曲・ＰＶ付】 (NEW) – Beautiful animation, a pleasure to watch and listen to as well. Fun stereo effects :3 Nice new Luka song altogether… Song’s not that impressive, but the PV is real nice.
- #23: 「ロミオとシンデレラ」 オリジナル曲 vo.初音ミク (Up from 24) – <no comment>
- #22: 【KAITOオリジナル曲】歩ノ路【3者コラボ】 (NEW) – Thank you extremely high B-mod for bringing us such wonderful KAITO songs this week. Happy birthday!
- #21: 【初音ミク】チョコレートは人体に対してこんなにも危険！ (NEW) – Purin~ D:
- #20: 【VOCALOID】修羅ノ庭【オリジナル】 (Down from 11) – <no comment>
- #19: 【初音ミク】ワーディング・インスパイア【オリジナル曲】 (NEW) – Is it just me, or do I hear Miku singing, “Hentai~! Hentai~!”…? o_O Beat is awesome here.
- #18: 【巡音ルカ】 Child’s Garden 【オリジナル曲PV付】 (Down from 5) – <no comment>
- #17: 「Just Be Friends -NTMGmix-」 song by 巡音ルカ (NEW) – Maybe it’s just me but I simply like this remix version by baker other than the original one. What remix? >: I like any version of JBF, to be honest… This is a much better remix than the NTMG remix of Meltdown, IMO.
- #16: 【巡音ルカ】Just Be Friends【オリジナルPV】 (Down from 10) – <no comment>
- #15: 【初音ミク】 恋率方程式 【オリジナル曲】 (NEW) – <no comment>
- #14: 【鏡音リン】 迷子ライフ 【オリジナル曲】 (Down from 12) – Fitting of the “神調教” tag for this Rin song, I especially like the part when Rin goes high-pitched.
- #13: 【デュラララ!!】池袋ラバーズを歌ってもらった (Unranked) – Not as funny as Kaito’s “ni shite ageru” parody, I don’t think It made it after all! Yay.
- #12: 初音ミク オリジナル曲 「裏表ラバーズ」 (Down from 8) – They combo this but not the JBF? What kind of nut house is this? I think it has more to do with the two JBF’s beat and rhythm not matching up.
- #11: 【KAITO・MEIKO】ホール・ニュー・ワールド【アラジン】 (NEW) – Tender and smoothing, it’s good. Wha’dya expect, it’s a Disney song! Vocals on this are fantastic; even though this isn’t my fave Disney song, I still love the way it sounds here.
- THIS WEEK’S PICK-UP: 【鏡音リン】 Re:Start (NEW) – An upbeat sounding song from Rin, it’s on loop for me.
- #10: 【第4回MMD杯本選】Mの誘惑【MMDドラマ】 (NEW) – All-star cast but I MUST UNSEE Here, have some of my Brain Bleach.
- #9: 初音ミクオリジナル曲 「Pierrot」 (Down from 4) – It actually gained viewers, but the B-mod got nearly halved Saw it coming, sadly.
- #8: 初音ミク オリジナル曲 「ローリンガール」 (NEW) – N-no, it’s not possible… have I… actually found a wowaka song that I actually like?
- #7: 【初音ミク・巡音ルカ】太陽と月のロンド【オリジナルPV】 (NEW) – The pics don’t match the music, aesthetic-wise
- #6: 【第4回MMD杯本選】ボーカロイドM-1ぐらんぷり ミクandハク (NEW) – I’m still waiting for a Rahmens parody. shinBASH This had me laughing so hard. I love it.
- #5: 【初音ミク】 パラダイムシフト 【オリジナル曲】 (NEW) – Okay, this is EPIC. The quality of this song is really good. Not bad at all for a Vocaloid newbie.
- #4: 【初音ミク 巡音ルカ】合鍵ガンマンと合鍵忍者【オリジナル】 (Up from 14) – This has been going steadily upwards each week
- THIS WEEK IN HISTORY: I have to say this was one of the better Top 5’s in VocaRan history. Double Lariat is probably the weakest link here, but even that was good the first time out. Wait, the weakest link song is the one that’s still on the rankings after a whole year? What? Oh God, Wanderlast, how I miss thee…
- #3: 巡音ルカオリジナル DYE (Unmoved) – It’s been two weeks and I am still listening to this song… D: While the arrangement and rhythm are good, I just can’t help but feel that there’s unspeakable engrish hidden in there… It’s not unspeakable, but it is a little Engrish-y…
- #2: 裏表エラーズ feat.KAITO (Unranked) – WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN Oh my, why didn’t I noticed this earlier? 8D Wow… we have three versions of URA-OMOTE!!! on rank!? UNPOSSIB-*system error* Yes, very win. Very win indeed.
- #1: 【オリジナル曲PV】WORLD’S END UMBRELLA【初音ミク】 (NEW) – Comments below Called it… well, in part, anyways.
- ED Song: 【初音ミク】ベンチ【オリジナル】 – <no comment>
IN OTHER VOCALOID NEWS:
The MikuMikuDance event MMD Cup 4 final selection mylist voting is beginning. The voting period is from February 12th (Friday) through February 19th (Friday). Get your voting done early!
Maybe if my job gets finished I can vote too…
(Also, the upload of the UtaRan video has been postponed until tomorrow, so the article will be posted later than usual. We apologize for any inconvenience.) m(_ _)m
We’ve reached a bit of a grey area. For all intents and purposes, WEU has retained its #1 spot, but technically, it hasn’t. Considering the turnaround we’re getting nowadays, this is likely to be as close to a repeat as we’re going to get.
That being said, there’s a little bit of dirty pool here. With the deletion of the old WEU, all the MyLists essentially transferred to the new video, plus it had a full week to get its metrics up.
Another interesting note: in the 6 weeks we’ve had the new system, we’ve had 3 top three repeats. Hachi, AVTechNO and AkuNoP have all been there twice. Add in 40mP, natsuP appearing once, and we may (emphasis on “may”) have a new problem: brand loyalty. With MyLists getting greater focus in 2010, well-known producers should fare better than unknowns because they already have a built-in fanbase. They’re all going to MyList their favorite P’s song regardless of its quality, so that’s going to boost their B-mod, in addition to MyLists and Views. Nearly half of the Top 3’s occupied by “famous” P’s support this theory, but we can only wait and see if this is actually more fact than theory.
I’m sorry to have to be the one to break it to you, but this “brand loyalty” thing has been going on for a lot longer than the new totaling system has been in place– I’d say it’s normal behavior, actually. It’s just natural for someone to want to support a P they like, even if the song itself isn’t that good. I’ve done it myself sometimes. Why do you think wowaka songs always shoot to the top of the rankings, even if– and I say this in complete objectivity, not just because I don’t like his style– they aren’t really that good? The song released right after 裏表 was just a clone of it, but not as catchy. It popped up, lingered for one or two weeks, then dropped off the face of the earth. That’s brand loyalty in action.
It may play a bigger part now because of the mylist modifier, but it’d be hard to prove, since it’s been happening already.