…but the voice of the people is also stated to be the voice of madness, which is very appropriate in the above context, really. </self-deprecation>
Anyway, so I finally got around and refurbished the article’s format a bit, figuring out how to make good use of headers (GASP!) so that I don’t abuse the BOLD-ITALICS-UNDERLINE-ALLCAPS combo… too much… I’ll stop ranting now and just move on to the charts.
I apologize for the lateness. Real Life happened… so to make up for it, comment overcrowding will be overlooked for this article. Not much, I know, but please bear with us. Oh, and BTW, red2 is now red1. *RIMSHOT~!*
Naho’s Opening Statement:
It’s time for this week’s VocaRan. Although it’s almost spring, it’s still cold… Man, I want warm weather already…
This week’s ranking came just before Miku’s Day Thanksgiving Celebration. No matter what, there’s new songs to keep an eye on… I wonder where the songs you like will be ranked?
-This Week’s Editors: Holocauxt, DTKel, Joe Mello, deztora, redemtion2, GreenSage
-Song Stats: Rank-Up, Rank-Down, Unmoved, Unranked, NEW
- #30: 【初音ミクオ リジナル曲】＊ハロー、プラネット。【ドットPV付き】 (Up from 58) – Honestly? I don’t even really like this song. Where’s Campanella?
- #29: 【初音ミクオ リジナル】わたしのかわいいシテヤンヨ【PV】 (NEW) – This song is way too catchy for it’s creepy shiteyanyo picture.
- #28: 【初音ミクオ リジナル】 night drive 【PVつき】 (Down from 20) – Whoa, still here? Nice!
- #27: 【オリジナル 曲PV】WORLD’S END UMBRELLA【初音ミク】 (Down from 24) – Whoa, still here? Nice!
- #26: 「ロミオとシ ンデレラ」 オリジナル曲 vo.初音ミク (Up from 30) – Oh, still here… Nice…?
- #25: 初音ミク【ヒ ダマリ】オリジナル曲 (NEW) – <no comment>
- #24: 【鏡音レン】 パラジクロロベンゼン【破壊系洗脳ソング】 (Down from 11) – <no comment>
- #23: 初音ミク オ リジナル曲 「ローリンガール」 (Down from 10) – <no comment>
- #22: 【初音ミク】STOMP THE ENEMY【戦闘曲】 (NEW) – <no comment>
- #21: 【巡音ルカ】 ダブルラリアット【オリジナル】 (Unmoved) – ３００万おめ！！
- #20: 【初音ミク】 The Forgotten Song 【オリジナル曲】 (NEW) – <no comment>
- #19: magnet 【初音ミク・巡音ルカオリジナル】 (Up from 23) – Hm. Something about a CD… I don’t really know. *whistles innocently*
- #18: 【GUMI】 君と世界をつなぐもの 【オリジナル】 (NEW) – Y’know how I usually go: New GUMI song on rank, I become a happy panda.
- #17: 【デュラララ!!】 池袋ラバーズ【替え歌カバー】 (Down from 12) – <no comment>
- #16: 【初音ミク】 スノートリック【オリジナル曲PV付】 (Down from 4) – Whoa, 1/6 clone still here? …Eh. It’s not bad.
- #15: 【巡音ルカ】 Child’s Garden 【オリジナル曲PV付】 (Down from 7) – <no comment>
- #14: 初音ミク オ リジナル曲 「裏表ラバーズ」 (Down from 9) – <no comment>
- #13: 【初音ミク】 死にたがり【オリジナル曲】 (Down from 2) – Why is this still here? No, seriously.
- #12: 【初音ミク・ 巡音ルカ】天雪ノ乱舞【オリジナル】 (Up from 14) – <no comment>
- #11: 【初音ミク】 メーデー【オリジナル】 (NEW) – KEI (not the artist) is back! Yay!
- THIS WEEK’S PICK-UP: 恋のベーカロ イド【初音ミクオリジナル】 (#61 – NEW) – <no comment>
- #10: 【巡音ルカ】Just Be Friends【オリジナルPV】 (Up from 16) – <no comment>
- #9: 巡音ルカ「ル カルカ★ナイトフィーバー」【オリジナル曲】 (Up from 35) – That’s quite a jump. Did this just get a million views? Comments say yes.
- #8: 【初音ミク】 白い雪のプリンセスは 【オリジナル】 (Down from 1) – Somebody fill in the blanks already!!! It’s driving me nutters!!!
- #7: 【巡音ルカ】 ナイフ 【オリジナル】 (Down from 3) – People really seem to like this song. I wonder why.
- #6: 【和鬼畜百合 曲PV付】 雛逃げ 【初音ミク×メグッポイド】 (NEW) – Should this go on my Sansa? I still can’t decide…
- #5: 巡音ルカオリ ジナル曲「ダスト」 (NEW) – I hope this goes up next week, but I can already tell it most likely won’t.
- #4: 巡音ルカオリ ジナル free (NEW) – A mostly Luka-centric 10-4th place this week… Have been listening to this ever since it was uploaded, gotta love AVTechNO for this. <3 Don’t care for it, but then again AVTechNO’s stuff is always hit or miss with me.
- THIS WEEK IN HISTORY: (WVR #74 LINK HERE) This spot is for a look back at the VocaRan one year before. Here are the top five songs from that week.
- H5: Still samfree…
- H4: Still TOE-d’aaaaaaaaaaawwww~!!!
- H3: Still Double Lariat…
- H2: And finally, Synchronicity part 1… Ah, yes, what really drew me to this song is the stunning artwork (before I discovered it was a web novel).
- H1: Then we have a revival of sorts since this is mostly the time when Japanese students graduate from high school. I was kinda ticked when this song forced Synchronicity into the 2nd spot, but… oh well.
- #3: 初音ミク オ リジナル曲 『 Atoms 』 (NEW) – Hmm… meh, nothing special here IMHO… Though I find it interesting that “kokoro” is rendered in the same Katakana as Rin’s KOKORO… +1 point to my meme theory.
- #2: 【初音ミクdark(＋ 巡音ルカ)オリジナル曲】ウタカタ永焔鳥【PV】 (NEW) – Now this is an interesting combination: Miku’s dark append with Luka’s natural lowness… I kinda like it. Helps that the PV looks good, too. So which god does sasakure-san have to pray to to get a number one song? Seriously, even though he’s always getting into the top five… And this was really amazing work…
- #1: 【初音さん】 サボテンと蜃気楼【オリジナル】 (NEW) – Awwwww… the PV is just too cute! Gonna view the entire thing now, hopefully it doesn’t have a sad ending. ;_; DARN IT!!! TT__TT I knew it… I think I know why such tear-jerking story PVs make it to the top of the WVR in their debut week. Now if you’ll excuse me, I think it’s starting to rain… My theory is if you didn’t cry even a little bit while watching the PV, you have no soul.
- ED Song: 巡音ル カでオリジナル曲 「冬の幻想」 – Huh, strange. There’s an ED song, but it’s not on the MyList for this week’s chart. Can anyone else get it for me? Nevermind, found it. >_<
In Other Vocaloid News:
The genre-defying, boundary-breaking, sensational and controversial hit “magnet” has finally arrived! From minato (RyuuseiP), “magnet -favorite plus-” will be released from MOER on March 10th!
And of course, March 9th is Miku’s Day Thanksgiving Celebration! Everyone! Let’s make record numbers at the concert!
I think if there’s one thing that’s become evident over the course of these rankings with the new system, it’s that popular songs are a lot slower to fall. This means that if a song pops up one week and is gone the next, it was truly a one-hit wonder… whereas before, it seemed like most popular songs were destined for that fate, except for the few lucky ones that got to stick around (and possibly become regulars?).
I like this trend and I don’t. Of course I like it because it means the good songs (and the not-so-good ones that happen to become popular for whatever reason) get more time in the spotlight. I don’t like it only because it means less new songs in the top 30 each week. This is pretty much a non-issue, though, since those slots would most likely just be taken up by other returning songs anyway.
…And so with that, we end this week’s Vocaloid Ranking review. Please join us again next week, and stay tuned for the UtaRan review!