(Video cannot be embedded ATM…)
Edit: Fixed that.
*a lone tumbleweed rolls along*
Hmm… Recently I’ve started checking the Weekly NND Vocaloid Ranking (not related to WVR… I think) to predict what songs will make the Top-30 and catch up/listen to a few that manage to pique my interest. The result is, reviewing the WVR just became an even more mundane chore. Hopefully I could count on redemption2 to calculate and give meaning to the rise and fall of certain songs and make things a little more interesting.
With that said, let’s just go right ahead into the review.
(Please take note that from now on, every WVR review will be a “progressive” article – that means it will be published almost immediately after the WVR video is uploaded on NND, so comments on songs might be a little bare at first)
History: Red = DK, Green = DT, Blue = JM, Purple = dez, Orange = red2
Anyone notice that in the intro, they left a space for a new Crypton Vocaloid instead of tweaking the spacing? I think we might be getting an announcement soon.
- #30: 初音ミクオリジナル曲 「初音ミクの消失（LONG VERSION）」 (Down from 23) – Hate me if you will, but this is on my Retirement List. I want it off the countdown. Any song that has overstayed its welcome in WVR is also on my blacklist. Yes, even those that I do like…
- #29: 【初音ミク】Moonlight Walker【オリジナル】【ProjectDIVA】 (Previously Unranked) – <no comment>
- #28: 【オリジナル曲PV】結ンデ開イテ羅刹ト骸【初音ミク】 (Down from 14) – １００万おめでとう！I never noticed it before, but I love how at the 「子作りしようか」 part there are a flood of comments saying, “Okay!” From day one, I wanted this one to die. So close now!
- #27: 鏡音リンで とある科学の超電磁砲OP「only my railgun」【カバー】 (Previously Unranked) – Yes! I’m happy this made it to the charts, even if it’s just for this week. OP/ED covers are unpredictable though. It might stay for one more week.
- #26: 初音ミク オリジナル曲 「裏表ラバーズ」 (Up from 28) – <no comment>
- #25: 【初音ミク】みくみくにしてあげる♪【してやんよ】 (Up from 31) – BLARGH~!!! もういい。。。 Let it die already… Retirement List.
- #24: 【初音ミク】Es〜dirty aspiration〜【オリジナル】 (Down from 9) – This song gets stuck in my head so easily. Have you seen the Chorus version yet? Epic Win.
- #23: 【KAITOオリジナル】月光トータルイクリプス【月光ロック】 (NEW) – Wow, it made it… the more I listen to it, the more it grows on me.
- #22: 【初音ミク】1/6【オリジナル】 (Previously Unranked) – …is anyone else confused as to what this is doing here? Wasn’t there a shuttle launch last week?
- #21: 【巡音ルカwith初音ミク】memorial wings～キオクノツバサ【オリジナルFull】 (Previously Unranked) – This one would have won me over if there wasn’t so much techno in the background. And bad visual editing with Len on violin.
- #20: 【初音ミク】1925【オリジナル曲】 (Up from 24) – <no comment>
- #19: 【鏡音レン】パラジクロロベンゼン【破壊系洗脳ソング】 (Down from 16) – Hmm… so it’s been almost 10 weeks now. I wonder if this song will become one of the regular songs on the rankings? I hope so. がんばれ、レン！
- #18: 初音ミク が オリジナル曲を歌ってくれたよ「メルト」 (Down from 17) – *cough* Retirement *cough*
- #17: 【めぐっぽいどオリジナル曲】カムパネルラ【PV】 (Down from 6) – I’m a sad panda now… ;_; Nooooo why is it falling make it stop falling. *cries* Sasakure’s stuff never stays up for long, but sustains just under the countdown. Yay Hello, Planet!
- #16: 「ロミオとシンデレラ」 オリジナル曲 vo.初音ミク (Down from 13) – <no comment>
- #15: 巡音ルカ「ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー」【オリジナル曲】 (Up from 21) – What? Still here? Samfree released 3 new songs this week. That’s why.
- #14: 【鏡音リン】ハートは万華鏡 【オリジナル】 (NEW) – The beat and feel of this Vocarock song is nice, me likes. ryono sure is popular these days… Nevertheless, I like this song too.
- #13: magnet【初音ミク・巡音ルカオリジナル】 (Down from 10) – Dare I say… Retire?
- #12: 【初音ミク】記憶ノ箱【オリジナル】 (NEW) – <no comment>
- #11: 【初音ミク】 鎖の少女 【オリジナル】 (Down from 3) – Awww. Saw this coming, but still.
- THIS WEEK’S PICK-UP: 【ボカロ小学生】±（ぷらすまいなす）【歌愛ユキ】 (#34 – NEW) – I patiently await the day that this loli Vocaloid sings Kodomo no Jikan songs. Lots of high-scorers this week too, huh? I thought this would be in the top thirty… Really thankful it’s not. Bad choice to duet with Miku.
- #10: 【巡音ルカ】ダブルラリアット【オリジナル】 (Up from 12) – <no comment>
- #9: 【GUMI】Eraser【オリジナル】 (NEW) – Yeah, I like this new GUMI song. It’s nice and happy. Simple but beautiful artwork, a wonderful and soothing song to listen to. I love this song so much, even in all its Engrish glory. I’m hoping for a better performance next week, not counting on it though.
- #8: 【初音ミクオリジナル】Bad Sweets (Up from 11) – Went back to listen to this again. It has a nice introduction, and generally it’s a good song for me. This song’s unique to me in that I love the verses, but I dislike the chorus. Hm.
- #7: 【巡音ルカ】Just Be Friends【オリジナルPV】 (Down from 2) – A week late, but １００万おめでとう！ I still love this song even after all this time. I love you JBF, but it’s time to retire now.
- #6: 【初音ミク】恋のおまじない【オリジナル曲】 (NEW) – I don’t know why but this song is addicting.
- #5: 【KAITO】千年の独奏歌(オリジナル曲) (Up from 73) – Volley fire!!! Duck and cover!!! *Finds a bunker to hide under* Whoa! Where’d this come from?! …Again? Agh! I’m hit! MEDIC!! This one blows everything I expected away. Talk about an outlier!
- #4: 【初音ミク(とく)】Butterfly【オリジナル曲】 (NEW) – This Miku PV has nice visuals… I’ll give it that. The song, together with the graphics, is nothing short of beautiful. The tags lied to me… this has nothing to do with Butter-fly from Digimon. ;_;
- #3: 【巡音ルカ】 Desire 【オリジナル】 (NEW) – Even though I like Luka… this song comes across me as very… flat. I dunno, there’s something in the vocal tweaks that I don’t like. Sounds great enough for me, currently one of my favorite Luka songs. It sounds like another Luka song I like, although I can’t think of which one… but I still like this. Akaitoha maybe? I think it’s the same PV artist.
- #2: 【初音ミク】忘却アリス【オリジナル】 (NEW) – They switched from some great-costumed Miku to some bloody doll halfway through. What a killjoy.
- #1: 初音ミクオリジナル曲 「R-18」 (NEW) – Yyyep… cosMo proves that he’s a pretty clever (sneaky?) guy when it comes down to rankings, uploading this song just after the previous week’s tally. It’s very good, too, but I doubt it will have the lasting effect of the ever-popular Shoushitsu. Well, it’s cosMo we are talking about, isn’t it? *Continues listening to this song on loop* Honestly, I kind of hated this song at first, but now I actually love it. Darnit cosMo. Is this a sequel to Fantastic Garden? It looks like the same girl, just older. And look, she still has the sketchbook.
- ED Song: 【初音ミクオリジナル曲】恋のアルゴリズム – <no comment>
IN OTHER VOCALOID NEWS:
Three new Vocaloids will be released on December 4th by “jam band” creator AHS. Although Miki-san was announced first, I have a feeling that the other two will certainly surpass expectations.
Kaai Yuki-chan, made using an elementary schooler as a model, as well as a singer taking part in the Vocaloid development as a model for Hiyama-sensei… With these two, the Vocaloid neighborhood will be getting even bigger, huh? I hope there’s even more activity from here on out.
In addition to the bigger Vocaloid news, here’s some CD news as well. The creator of songs such as “Po Pi Po” ラマーズP’s album, “Exit Tunes Presents the Complete Best of ラマーズP”, will be released on November 18th.
((As always, if anyone has any corrections or a better wording, by all means let us know!))
Welp, that’s it… That’s seriously all I have to say about this week’s ranking…
…Alright, alright…! To be honest, I was excited about something else (also Vocaloid related… sorta) to pay enough attention to this week’s WVR. I really wanted to blog about it, but I feel that now is not the right time. So for now, lemme just give you guys a hint: 1) if you like Utatte Mita, then you’ll most probably like her, 2) “Just Be Friends…“
First let me thank the V-ism staff for letting me on board. Allow me to introduce myself. I’m redemption2, you can call me red or red2, that’s fine by me. Each week, starting back with 109, I will be following the ranking statistics of the top three on the charts for that week, and the ones from past weeks in the hopes that we can get a pattern down as to why they fall at the speed they do. I plan to publish a few blogs on the subject separately once I get enough data, but I’ll also comment on my predictions here.
I’m going to be busy keeping track of all of these. Most of the ones I was tracking took major hits, and the first three are all new. I just hope my spreadsheets can keep up.
As you may know Bakuhatsushiyo tanked to 50th place in 110, and today it hit 83. Most likely I won’t see it in 112. Druaga also dropped to 44 this week. And, as we expected, Kimi-Boshi lost all its support and went to 40.
It appears to me that after its initial week, and subsequent weeks after, a song will lose anywhere from 50% to 75% of its initial value. There are outliers to this, such as JBF, which resumed a sustained amount after their 2m celebration. Unless a stable fanbase comes around each week to listen often enough, the video will continue to drop. Because of its incredible popularity, Chain Girl sustained 3rd place, however it again lost half of its points this week. And at 62,000, it’s likely we won’t see it on the countdown again, and if we do, it will be very low indeed.
Projections: With three new samfree tunes on their way up, we might have a samfree blitz in the top 30. Also the sequel to Imitation Black was recently released, so Natsu is heading up the charts again. JBF will sink into its stable pattern once again around 10-15. R-18 and Alice might stick around the top ten for another week, but unless Desire decides to rise instead of fall, that one is on the plank, like Kimi-Boshi was the week before.